Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Ohio

























I never dreamed I'd have a job that doesn't seem like a job... but I do. Holmes County Ohio is one of those places where you introduce yourself and who you are, then sit back and just talk; literally "bask" in each other's presence and care (if I may wax poetic about it all). No, it's not perfect, but sometimes it comes close. It's a good reminder that no matter where we are, if there are fellow brothers and sisters in the Lord (no matter the congregation we and they are in) there is care, concern and most importantly, love.




So far, it has been an interesting two days. After arriving at my "home" for the next three months, I suddenly realized that its a BIG deal to try and set up a kitchen, closet, bathroom, bedroom, etc. even if it's for only one person.








My "home" for the next three months. These lovely people are allowing me to use their basement (which is equally lovely) for the time that I'm here.






The view from the front porch






The view out my door (windows face to this view as the house is built into a hill and the basement comes out at ground level).



The Windows of Hope office where I am every day between house calls. The Walnut Creek LIbrary is on the left, and the Community Center (which is where the office for WOH is) is located on the right. The German Culture Museum is in the basement downstairs.




Across the street from the office is the Post Office on the left (yes, I have a P.O. Box there so if anyone wants my address just send me a message and I'll get it to you kwagner2@csustan.edu) and the McKinley House on the right. Supposedly it's where President McKinley stayed the night one time, and used to be the German Culture Museum but is closed to the public now.




A common sight in the small "burgs" (towns) and on back country roads






This is the most AMAZING directory that I've ever seen! If you ever get a chance to look through one, do. It's very detailed and the family connections are very clear and concise. A geneticist's dream (and one of the reasons genetic research is so much easier among the Amish).


Isaiah 41:20 says; "That they may see, and know, and consider, and understand together, that the hand of the Lord hath done this, and the Holy One of Israel hath created it."


The heritage of faithful generations is a testimony to God's grace and love for those who follow Him. Yes, we all fall down; but what I've seen so far in working with the Amish people is a faith there that is simple, yet very profound. It's a good lesson in my own life to slow down and WAIT on the Lord; be patient, be faithful, be true. They are joyful, loving people who don't know a stranger and are willing to share and listen if you are honest and open. It really is like working and living with one's brothers and sisters. I have been deeply touched and blessed by those I've come in contact with so far. And to my friends and family who are reading this, THANK YOU for your support, endless prayers and love. I could not and cannot do this without each one of you... God Bless
















No comments:

Post a Comment